Apple Announces Major Changes in High Level Management: Scott Forstall & John Browett Go Out, Ive Gets Additional Responsibilities
Apple today announced major changes in its high level management through a press release, the most prominent changes are the instant exit of retail chief John Browett and a 2013 departure for Scott Forstall- Senior Vice President of iOS Software.
As part of introducing major reforms in the high level team of executives Jony Ive, Bob Mansfield, Eddy Cue, and Craig Federighi have been assigned to bear the load of additional responsibilities along with their present duties.
- Jony Ive will also work as the head of Human Interface teams in addition to his existing role as head on Industrial Design.
- Eddy Cue will capture responsibility for Siri and Maps, merging online services under one unit. Cue was encouraged a year ago by making him Senior Vice President for Internet Software and Services. He has show his prime capabilities in the apple education announcement earlier this year, and now will take the charge of two of Apple’s most outstanding new iOS features.
- Craig Federighi will work as the chief of both the iOS and OS X teams; he was also promoted to Senior Vice President of Mac Software Engineering, earlier this year. Now, he will head the iOS team that was previously under Scott Forstall.
- Bob Mansfield will take the charge of the head of a new “Technologies” group keenly working on advancements in wireless technology and semiconductors. Earlier this year, Apple declared the retirement of Mansfield, but after many months the company announced that he will continue his job at Apple. Later, it rumored that Tim Cook had faced a “mutiny” after Mansfield announced his retirement, and Cook offered him a highly munificent benefits package to continue working at the company. It looks that Mansfield will be staying at Apple now for a long time span.
- Scott Forstall, the existing SVP of iOS Software, will depart from Apple next year. For the time being, he will perform his duties just as an advisor to Tim Cook. The departure of Forstall from Apple is the biggest change as he was once considered a possible substitute of Steve Jobs as CEO, but recently has become the main target of criticism for his blunders regarding Apple’s new mapping software and the continued view that Siri is not prepared for prime time.
Also, Forstall was a measured candidate responsible for the introduction of skeuomorphicm in Apple’s iOS software. With Jony Ive taking office of the Human Interface teams, there could be more reliability coming to Apple’s user interfaces across the company.
- On the retail side, SVP of Retail John Browett will have to go immediately, and the retail team will work directly to Tim Cook on temporary basis until the deployment of a suitable candidate.
John Browett was under fire by majority of critics when Apple hired him earlier this year. It is said that Browett was behind the reduction of staff at the retail level and he was only focusing on profitability regardless of slump in of Apple’s outstanding customer service.
You can watch the entire change log of executives on Apple’s updated Leadership webpage; notably the names of Browett and Forstall have been washed out, while adding the additional responsibilities for Ive, Cue, Mansfield, and Federighi.