- iPhone 6 Relaesing in July: Mizuho SecuritiesPosted 2 months ago
- OS X Has Same SSL Vulnerability Apple Patched in iOS 7.0.6Posted 2 months ago
- Foxconn Cuts Production of Apple’s Lower-cost iPhone 5C at Zhengzhou, ChinaPosted 5 months ago
- Apple to Buy 3D Body Sensing Firm “PrimeSense” for $345 Million: Next Gen iPad & iTV would Offer Kinect like FunctionalityPosted 5 months ago
- Here’s the Fastest Way to Charge the Battery of Your iPhone, Android or iPadPosted 5 months ago
- Some Retina iPad Minis Exhibit Image Retention Issue & Dull ScreensPosted 5 months ago
- Apple Releases OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Beta 1 for Developers: Download NowPosted 5 months ago
- Apple Plans Large Curved Screen iPhones with Special New SensorsPosted 5 months ago
- New iPhone Air Concept Goes Viral: New Camera Module, 4.6 inch Retina Display, Color CustomizationPosted 5 months ago
- Download Final OS X 10.8.5 (Build 12F37) to Improve Stability, , Compatibility and Security of Your MacPosted 7 months ago
Apple Plans to Introduce Virtual SIM Card for IOS Devices!
Patently Apple just reports that Apple is planning to introduce virtual SIM card for its iOS devices as the company has filed a new patent application entitled, ‘Wireless Network Authentication Apparatus and Methods’.
In Apple’s patent FIGS. 5a and 5b shown below we see two exemplary embodiments of a hardware architecture (502, 504) for a “virtual” Subscriber Identity Modules (SIMs) according to the invention. Unlike prior art solutions, the exemplary embodiments of FIGS. 5a and 5b store a USIM 506 within an embedded Secure Element (SE) 508, which isn’t a removable card. The first illustrated embodiment 502 of the present invention (FIG. 5a) additionally includes a Near Field Communication (NFC) router 510.
It is being said that Apple’s new virtual SIM card will helpful in enhancing security and it will allow Apple to design an even a more thinner iPhone than existing one.
Notably, the rumors were gathering the tech surface back in 2010, describing that Apple was working on a special integrated SIM Card to eliminate the role of carriers from the entire the iPhone retail process.
Then the news came that most of European carriers warned Apple that if Apples tried to use an embedded SIM Card, they would refuse to subsidize the iPhone. So Apple ceased its efforts to introduce an embedded SIM card on iPhone, but it seems that the company is still seeking for introducing a virtual SIM card on its iPad product line.
Via: Patently Apple